Scratched or dented your car? We’ve all experienced it, some more than others. Manoeuvring into tight spaces, parking in the dark or underestimating the space between your car and a wall are all ways you might damage your car. At our Honda dealership, we’ve seen and heard it all. So, if you are looking for how to get a dent out of a car or how to remove scratches from a car, we’ve got you covered.
How to remove scratches from a car
Scratches on a car can vary from scrapes to swirls and clear coat scratches. The first part of knowing how to remove scratches from your car is determining what type of scratch you have. Here are a few of the most common car scratches:
- Scrapes: Scrapes usually occur when you have brushed the surface of your car against a wall or post, resulting in scraping your cars paint down to its bare state. In some minor cases, these scrapes can be fixed by using a scratch and paint restore kit. However, this will require you to find the exact specific paint and do the job correctly yourself.
- Clear coat scratches: The clear coat is the top layer of protection over your car’s paintwork. It is there to preserve the paint job and other layers that have been applied for the paint to last long-term. Clear coat scratches are not serious, but if left untreated for too long, harsh weather conditions can cause sensitive paint to be exposed. In these circumstances, understanding how to remove minor scratches from your car is a lot more straightforward.
- Swirls: These happen when hand washing your car. Without realising, fragments of grit can get stuck in the cloth you are using to wash your car, and cause scratching. To prevent this from happening, it is best to use a grit guard at the bottom of your bucket and high-quality microfibre cloths. The best solution to get rid of these scratches is to apply a scratch remover. Simply add a small quantity of liquid to a clean cloth and rub in circular motions, remembering to only rub delicately. Too much firmness will cause further damage and only make the problem worse.
In cases where you can see the bare metal from a scratch, we recommend booking a Honda car service. Our Honda dealership has decades of experience and our experts know exactly how to remove different scratches from a car. Just book in a service and leave the rest to us. Trust Honda to repair any damages your vehicle may have incurred, and leave your car looking as good as new.
How to get a dent out of a car
Dents are commonly caused by small collisions. The cause of each dent will differ, as will the treatment. As common as these accidents are, most people won’t know how to get a dent out of a car themselves.
- Light dents: Light and small dents can be popped back into shape. These can be removed will little hassle, by using a plunger. All you have to do is wet the plunger and dent, and upon placing the plunger over the target area, just push and pull. The other alternative is to apply the hot and cold technique. This works by rapidly changing from one temperature to another, which causes the dent to pop itself out. Hot water or a hairdryer can be used to heat the dented area, followed by spraying a can of compressed air to cool it. This isn’t advised and we always recommend using a professional.
- Larger dents: So how do you know how to get a larger dent out of a car? Well, if the dent cannot be popped out, then either a paintless dent removal or filler will most likely be needed. This process is more long-winded and requires sanding the dented area down to its bare metal. This is because the filler does not fix well to car paint. Once the filler has been applied to the dent and has hardened, another round of sanding will need to take place, before covering with spot putty and repeating the sanding. The last step will be to spray with a primer and repaint the area with the correct car colour. As you can tell, this process can take a long time, which is why it is best to leave this to the professionals and book your car in for a service.
We hope after reading this blog, that you will have a greater understanding of how to remove scratches from a car and how to get a dent out of a car.
If you are looking for a Honda car service or a new or used Honda, visit our Honda dealership in Poole or Christchurch today.